Friday, July 13, 2012

Heroes of Faith

                                           
 

The Scriptures talk about heroes of faith in the book of Hebrews chapter 11, but I thought of some people who have made an impact on my life as a believer. First, it begins with my grandfather. He lived and walked the footsteps of Christ. He was a man that met no stranger that he didn't like. A man that thought of others first and then himself.  He was kind and gentle.

Second, I think of Sister Robert Ann. My fifth grade science teacher. She introduced me to the idea that I could have a relationship with God.  She believed in me by allowing me to share the gifts God had given me. My true hero is the one that knows me better than I know myself. The one who has been with me through hardships and good times. The one who has, I know, forgiven me and through whom I have learned to forgive myself – that is God.

One never knows who they will meet along their life's journey. We may come across many people that we can call our heroes of faith. When God puts you in a certain place (like St. Barnabas) and places people and a priest that inspires you, encourages you through her teachings of the Gospel of Christ and strives for you to become the person God expects you to be, I call  people like that my heroes of faith as well..

So, who are your Heroes of Faith?

                                                                                                                         Lorraine Lee

3 comments:

  1. It is good to be reminded of the people that have help us along our journey through life. In thinking of my "heroes & sheroes" makes my heart overflowing with love.
    Peace,dmr+

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first name that comes to mind is my campus minister at the Wesley Foundation,, David. He and I have certainly diverged theologically to a great extent but I cannot nor would not want to deny the impact he had on my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that chapter in Hebrews - he not only highlights the superstars like Abraham and Moses, but he points out the lesser knowns, like Enoch and Rahab, and the unnamed, those who passed through the sea, those who took Jericho, the families that had loved ones brought home safely. And it is so beautifully written no matter which translation you are reading. Definitely one of my top 5 passages.

    It would be impossible to name all of my heroes of faith, I could probably fill walls with them. I will limit myself to two.

    The first would have to be my dear, departed teacher, Dr. Lavan. I could never reduce everything he was into a blog post, but if I had to choose the person in my life who best exemplified a Christian, it would be him. He always believed in me, when I didn't even believe in myself. He was a constant voice of support and encouragement in a world of criticism and self-doubt.

    My second is at the opposite end of the spectrum. He was an inmate with a severe thought disorder. In this relationship, he was the one in need of constant support and encouragement, and I was usually the one who provided it. But no matter how horribly his demons tormented him (and they did), he never stopped believing in a loving God. He never stopped praising God. And no matter how upset he would get, if I could focus him on talking about his faith, you could see the hope and peace returning to him.

    Heroes of faith are not just those that support us. They are also those that we support. They are the ones that carry the light into the darkness, knowing that God needs them to go. They are also the ones that are walking in the darkness, knowing that God is sending light.

    And they will know we are Christians by our love.
    Lyssa

    ReplyDelete